The cultivation of new leadership is of utmost importance to West Virginia’s future prosperity and progress. Leadership West Virginia works to develop and motivate a cross-section of leaders who will use their talents and abilities to inspire others and to foster a new spirit of energy, enthusiasm, and vitality throughout the state.
Each year a class of some 50 leaders is selected to participate in the program. A selection committee reviews the applications of statewide nominees from whom the final group of participants is chosen. Those selected must have demonstrated skills and experience in civic activities, public affairs, and in their professional careers. Although the selected participants will be from different regions, have varied professional backgrounds, and possess diverse talents, they all must have one common characteristic – an abiding interest in West Virginia and her future.
The program consists of eight monthly two-day educational sessions from April through November. Each of the sessions is conducted in a different community and addresses key subjects and critical issues facing West Virginia. The sessions typically run from Thursday morning through Friday afternoon with optional activities on Wednesday afternoon or evening.
At each session, recognized authorities – practitioners, teachers, entrepreneurs, professionals, and analysts – provide information and insight into the selected topic. A variety of views is presented on each topic, and visits are made to local sites to reinforce, through observation and practical experience, the subject matter of the program.
Participants must be committed to the program and accept the demands of the eight-month schedule, as attendance is mandatory for graduation.
A statewide network of over 1,400 Leadership West Virginia alumni targets areas of involvement and actively engages in finding solutions that will aid West Virginia’s future growth and prosperity. The alumni meet to strengthen relationships developed and to maintain and build on the knowledge gained during their Leadership experience.
Our graduates represent a broad cross-section of West Virginians — all of whom are engaged in a variety of sectors and at various levels inventing a bright future for the Mountain State.
If accepted into the Leadership West Virginia Program, you will be billed for the tuition fee of $3,000. The fee covers costs for all required program events excluding lodging, transportation, and meals en route. Tuition is non-refundable.
- To bring together emerging leaders who represent a broad spectrum of professional, personal, and geographic diversity.
- To give these individuals knowledge of significant state issues on a level and to a degree that they would not otherwise have had.
- To heighten their awareness and sensitivity through fresh insight and broadened perspectives.
- To develop a core of knowledgeable, dedicated, and motivated individuals who will undertake a variety of leadership responsibilities.
- To build a statewide network of alumni and establish linkages that will contribute to improved communications and a greater understanding of and involvement in critical issues.